Moving from Gogs to Gitea

After having some small hiccups with my Gogs installation – not just because of problems with Gogs it self, it was more user problems. So after rolling back a backup, I decided to give Gitea a try.If you’ve installed or managed  Gogs (or any webbased service) before, the installation of Gitea was quite straightforward. So setting Gitea up, tweaking the settings and changing some small feature for my own pleasure took about 45 minutes. Figuring out why my SSH keys didn’t work and why it (sometimes) is good to RTFM, took 30 more minutes. Then I could transfer my repos.

I also added some Gist-like functionality by using a Node app named Hastebin. A really nice app, easy to set up and use. And with a small function in my .bashrc file, I can easily create a gist/document from cli.

gist() { a=$(cat); curl -X POST -s -d "$a" https://gist.gitlab.no/documents | awk -F '"' '{print "https://gist.gitlab.no/"$4}'; }

So if you need a small webapp like pastebin or Gist check out Hastebin.

When it comes to the Gogs / Gitea stuff I chose to change from the first to the latter due to more activity on Gitea development (afaik). I also liked the default theming better on Gitea and it’s feels more snappy than Gogs. I’m running 1.2.0 RC1 RC2 for the moment, and as far as I can tell, it is performing as it should. No crashes or any other problems – that was not caused by me…

You can check it out over at Gitea.io. I’ve done some changes to my installation  (gitlab.no) but it is mostly vanilla.

Leave a Reply